The weekend is right here! Pour your self a mug of espresso, seize a seat by the hearth, and prepare for our longer-form weekend reads:
• The Downfall of Diddy Inc.: After months in courtroom, Sean Combs withdrew his racially charged lawsuit in opposition to Diageo. A glance inside that battle reveals the failed try of a fading hip-hop mogul—who’s been buffeted by expenses of sexual assault—to salvage a crumbling enterprise empire. (Businessweek)
• America’s New Enterprise Growth: People Have Been Forming New Companies at Document Charges. However is This a Actual Startup Growth—or Simply The Rise of Gig Work and Facet Hustles? (Apricitas Economics)
• How A lot of the World Is It Doable to Mannequin? Mathematical fashions energy our civilization—however they’ve limits. (New Yorker)
• The Barcode Engineered Its Personal Downfall: For many years, the tiny image has been the plumbing of world capitalism. It would lastly get replaced. (The Atlantic)
• How a 27-Yr-Previous Codebreaker Busted the Fantasy of Bitcoin’s Anonymity: As soon as, drug sellers and cash launderers noticed cryptocurrency as completely untraceable. Then a grad scholar named Sarah Meiklejohn proved all of them flawed—and set the stage for a decade-long crackdown. (Wired)
• Revisiting Madonna-ology within the Period of Taylor Swift Research: If 2023 started with the launch of Swift’s Eras Tour, it’s ending with the launch of Madonna’s Celebration Tour, a profession survey of her best hits. And if Swift has an outsize affect on tradition right now, it’s onerous to think about somebody in addition to Madonna who has had a extra outsize affect on cultural research, notably within the early Nineties, when Madonna’s peak coincided with foundational works of queer idea considerably by way of Madonna, “an exemplary widespread textual content.” (Los Angeles Overview of Books)
• Fracking Eyeballs: How an alliance between psychologists and advertisers on the flip of the twentieth century taught us find out how to measure (and monetize) human consideration. (Asterisk)
• 33 Life Learnings from 33 Years: Yearly, I attempt to spend a while reflecting on what I’ve realized alongside the best way. Previously, this record of life learnings was only for me—a personal accounting of my very own journey, progress, failures, and missteps. However this yr, I’d prefer to share it with all of you. (The Curiosity Chronicle)
• A Knife Solid in Fireplace: The writer needed a Japanese-style kitchen blade made for him by hand. What he witnessed was a mix of artistry and atomic magic. (Chicago Journal)
• Then and Now: Revisiting the Sopranos’ New Jersey 25 Years: Later On the anniversary of the present’s premiere, its creator and placement supervisor replicate on a few of its iconic settings and why they have been chosen. (New York Instances)
Be sure you try our Masters in Enterprise this week with Shomik Dutta, co-founder and managing accomplice at Overture, a enterprise capital agency centered on local weather tech and sustainability startups. He’s additionally co-founder and normal Associate of Greater Floor Labs. Beforehand, he was an aide within the Obama White Home and an advisor to FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski.
The record-high $6trn in cash market accounts is probably going a tailwind to equities, credit score, and charges, and finally the economic system, particularly hiring, housing, and inflation.
Supply: Torsten Slok, Apollo International